The student news site of Herriman High School

The Telegraph

Filed under Feature

Pledge to be Unplugged this Thanksgiving

Poster courtesy of NHS

Poster courtesy of NHS

Poster courtesy of NHS

Families are becoming less in touch than they used to be because of the technology that is now available in this time. With this in mind, Herriman High’s National Honor Society is campaigning for students to spend Thanksgiving dinner unplugged. Unplugged means that NHS is encouraging students to spend their Thanksgiving dinner without their electronics.

“[Thanksgiving is] really a time to spend time with your family. Spend it thankful for what you have instead of looking at what you don’t have,” said Katerina Elshaugh (‘14).

On Wednesday NHS students, were in the commons handing out lengths of orange string for students to tie around their wrists. The string will be a reminder to not have their phone or other electronics out during Thanksgiving dinner.

“It’s really not that hard. Put your phone somewhere you can’t reach it. Focus on the food, on your family,” said Taina Douglas (‘14).

So take the pledge and spend Thanksgiving unplugged.

1 Comment

One Response to “Pledge to be Unplugged this Thanksgiving”

1. Shawnee Mounga on November 26th, 2013 9:02 am

Hannah Shay,
    Thank you so much for writing about this important subject. When someone has gone to all the work to prepare a beautiful Thanksgiving meal, I hope that everyone would take that time to enjoy being in the presence of others. To be able to converse face to face and laugh together. This is hardly ever done as families any more and even better if there is extended family over for the celebration. I hope that everyone gets at least a few minutes to talk about all the things they have to be grateful for. Not the least being technology. But, there is a time to put it aside and focus on others.

Shawnee Mounga
    Grandmother
    Former district employee

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*