Pros and cons of going to college

College is something that everyone, at least sometime in their life, strives for. It’s the finish line that many cross after running the twelve-year race that is the education system. Go to college, get a job, settle down, have a family. But, sometimes it costs more than it’s worth. And sometimes it’s not the end goal that’s in mind. Here are some pros and cons of getting a college education:

Pros:

Gain a better education:

College is a tool for you to use to further your education. You’re able to learn more about the things you love, and about the things you don’t. College means more classes, which means more information for your brain to soak up.

More job opportunities

Many jobs require at minimum a college education. And with a diploma behind your belt, that means that more high-paying and interesting jobs are going to be available to you. Employers usually don’t bother with your resume unless you have a college education.

New experiences

Outside of your hometown, there are countless people for you to meet, and new places to go, and college is a way to do that. As an adult on campus, you will have so much more freedom. Freedom to check out that new coffee shop down the street, or wander around campus at your leisure. It’ll all be new to you, a breath of fresh air in your life. Try new things and see new people.

Get outside of your comfort zone/boundaries

When you go to college, you’re expected to be independent. You won’t have anyone holding your hand the entire time, instead you will have to do things by yourself. This will test your limits, and while it can be stressful at times, you’ll find that you’re capable of so much more than you expected.

Cons:

Debt/Student loans

It’s common knowledge: college costs money. It’s expensive, and while scholarships help, they only help to ease the future debt. Student loans are an option too, but once you graduate they’ll come knocking on your door. This lack of money that is common among college students leave them turning out their pockets and turning towards their family, friends, and the bank for a way out.

Stress

School is stressful, and college is going to be even more stressful. You’re more or less on your own. It’s up to you to email professors, to get yourself to class, to figure out how to graduate. Even though you’ll have counselors as resources, having to be independent is still going to stress you out.

Jobs don’t require college education

There are successful careers that doesn’t require their employees to have a college education, like veterinary technicians, opticians, and dental hygienists. These jobs pay well, and offer you a steady income and way to have a comfortable life.

Famous/rich people without college education

Think of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Ellen DeGeneres. All three have something in common: lack of a college degree. Many celebrities and entrepreneurs started a semester or two of college, but eventually dropped out without graduating.