Behind the scenes of class changes

With the new semester approaching, the stress level is high for not only the students, but for the counselors as well. Class changes vary from student to student, and the counselors are always there for those in dire need of a schedule change.

Many students change their schedules prior to the new semester, but the majority of class change blowout happens the first day of the new semester.

I sat down with counselor Holly Jensen to ask for her viewpoint when it comes to those crazy class changes:

Telegraph: “How many students do you estimate change their schedule?

Holly Jensen: “Last year there were about 600 students.”

T: “How long does it usually take to change a student’s schedule to fit their needs?”

HJ: “Depends on what their schedules are like. Normally a minute or two if the class is open. Longest [I’ve] ever worked with a student for their schedule change was about 25 minutes.”

T: “What happens if a student’s designated class they want to transfer into is full?”

HJ: “If it’s full [the counselor] can not add a student into that class, however, the student may talk to that specific teacher to see if there’s room, or the student and counselor can come up with a compromise.

T: “What happens to students who don’t fill the graduation requirements?”

HJ: “[Counselors] will normally put a class into their schedule if they don’t meet their requirements. If there is no room for curriculum, they won’t be able to graduate.”

T: “How does the $10 fee help with the school?”

HJ: “A majority of the money goes to multiple scholarships we offer at the end of the year for juniors and seniors.”

Every student’s class change is a different experience in itself. But the counselors are right alongside as the class magically appears in the slot it was meant to be in. If there’s a class that is catching your eye, take it. You might not ever be able to take that class again, and if you don’t you might regret it later on.