Herriman High’s Breakfast Club

The criminal, the athlete, the basketcase, the princess and the brain- all characters in the famous film, The Breakfast Club, but haven’t you seen them in the halls? No matter what high school movie you watch, there’s always a common factor: Cliques. It’s as if they’re what makes high school, well… high school. Herriman High obtains such a wide variety of students with different interests, but do we know why the athlete is into sports or why the artist can’t seem to put down the paint?

The SBO:  “…we are super united. But we are this way because we all have the same purpose in mind, which is the love of our school and watching out for each other,” says sophomore Student Body Officer, Joanne Anderson. The student government is stereotypically seen as a group of kids who are liked by all their peers and have a substantial social platform. However, Anderson also stated, “…I hope that people are able to look at student government not only as a whole, but as individuals, and as friends.”

The writer: That kid who never leaves the house without a notebook in his/her hand. The student who participates in the literary magazine, the yearbook, the poetry teams, or even, the newspaper. Senior, JP Maendl agrees we have many opportunities for writers here at Herriman. Most writers write the way they do because of the emotions and experiences that urge them to pick up a pencil in the first place. “I really love the kind of neat stuff you can do with words… you can do it for any reason and you can write in any way you want to,” Maendl says.

The singer: The student with a great voice and an energetic personality, conveying true emotion through their musical ability. This past year, students like senior, Cady Anderson had the opportunity to visit New York for the choir tour. “Having [represented] the best of Herriman High at our competition in New York, it was neat to carry the pride and the name of Herriman wherever we [went]…” Devoting much time to their voice, Herriman’s singers are those with both commitment and skill.

The cheerleader: No high school movie would be complete without a cheerleader, and neither would Herriman High. Although the athletes of this realm are often shadowed with stereotypes, they carry the spirit of the school. Junior, Madi Rossetti is happy to have such a great team of people she can count on. She relays her gratitude in obtaining the opportunity to represent Herriman, as well as the responsibilities that come with the position. “I try hard to be a friend to everyone, and always have school spirit,” she explains.

The actor: Responsible for much of  Herriman’s talented entertainment, the theatre department represents lively excitement for drama. Often seen as the social butterflies of the school, they ensure everyone has a friend and aren’t afraid to be true to their personal character. Junior, Jonathan Francis says, “Being part of the theatre department I have seen myself and so many others grow as students.” Theatre is a great opportunity to get outside of your comfort zone, meet new people, and express your individuality on a stage of others who obtain a love for doing the same.

The artist: Communicating their emotions through drawings, paintings, sculptures, and other visuals. the artists of Herriman High are great in number and in creativity. Although some are on their own path, others choose to participate in organizations like the art club, which is helped run by Kate Darton, the president of the club. Art is a chance to express your emotions visually. Sierra Kakunes, a sophomore here at Herriman, says, “Art is just a way to express individuality.” It is a different experience for everyone, yet such unity is found within the art community.

The athlete: Working together as a team, putting forth their best effort, and representing the school at competitions and meets, the athletes are no doubt some of our hardest workers. When talking about being a member of the cross country and track team, senior, Julius Dally explained, “I was able to make so many friends that felt like family to me because we’ve all been through the best and worst times together,” also mentioning the sense of belonging it supplied him.

Next time you watch the stereotyped groups on your favorite 80’s high school flick, think about who those people actually represent. And whether you’re the cheerleader, the writer, the athlete, or something in between, never lose sight of what you have to offer to your high school, but most importantly, to the world.