Girls’ Volleyball “Kill”ing It

The high school volleyball season started mid-August this year and the first game the girls played was against Cottonwood on Aug. 28, where they won 3-0 in varsity.

Megan Sanford (‘15) and Tearnie Haag (‘15) are the team captains because they “have the most experience and are our seniors,” Coach Nicholson said.

Both Haag and Sanford have been on the team since freshman year, with Haag as the libero (or defensive specialist) and Sanford a middle blocker.

The varsity team has won four games out of seven so far and they feel confident about the rest of their season.
“The team this year is really great,” Haag says, “We are coming along and hopefully next season will be even better.”
The strongest traits of the team so far are blocking and the youth on the team. “It brings a lot of energy,” Nicholson said.

A majority of the team is just starting out in volleyball, but Nicholson sees this as an advantage.
Coach Nicholson says that by starting them in their freshman or sophomore year, it will effectively build up players and their skills so they have more experience in their junior and senior years.

When there are struggles during games or practice, however, it is due to the inexperience of the team. Most girls haven’t played long, a couple years at most, so the skills have yet to be mastered but the potential in each player is promising.