Secretary Johnson talks to government students

More stories from Megan Flint

Boys’ golf improves
November 18, 2015

High school students often think that their voice doesn’t matter, but Emma Atwan feels differently.

Ryan White, U.S. Government teacher and retired Coast Guard member, has always encouraged his students to get more involved with government.

White started the Voice Crusade last year after asking his students if they thought their voice mattered.

“Only 20 percent raised their hand when I asked that question. I knew this had to change,” White said.

The Voice Crusade was a motion White moved at Herriman High to teach students that, when it comes to our government, their voice matters.

Since then, Mr. White along with his students here at Herriman High have been able to contact several government officials to demonstrate that their voice does indeed matter.

Emma Atwan (‘16) decided to contact Secretary Jeh Johnson, the head of the Department of Homeland Security, and ask him if he wanted to speak to the students at Herriman High.

Surprisingly enough, Secretary Johnson said yes.

Atwon along with 10 other students were able to talk to Secretary Johnson through Adobe Connect and ask him questions about his job in DHS.

“I was so nervous,” Atwan said.

Many students were amazed that Secretary Johnson even took the time out of his busy schedule to address the students at Herriman High.

“This has no political implication on him. He’s doing this because he cares,” White said.

When asked why he had chosen to speak with the Herriman students, Secretary Johnson said, “I answered because I am a public servant and I work for you.”

Those few students were able to talk to Secretary Johnson in a conference room for about an hour, while the rest of the classes watched the interaction from the auditorium.

This isn’t the last we’ve seen of Secretary Johnson, because he invited those select students in the conference room to Washington D.C. to take a tour of the nation’s capitol and meet him personally.

“So, do you think your voice matters now?” White said.

The answer was a resounding yes.