The Official News Publication of Herriman High School

The Herriman Telegraph

The Herriman Telegraph

Mustang Football is Back

Football is back, the offense looks better than ever, what’s changed?

HERRIMAN— The start of the 2023–2024 school year always brings a lot of exciting new events. One of them takes place every Friday night under the lights. The Mustang Football team takes center stage from the start of August to the end of October. Anticipation can be felt in the Student body. In the first game of the season, the Herriman Mustangs took on the Bountiful Redhawks. The Mustangs had an impressive showing against Bountiful, out scoring the Redhawks 35-23. “The Offense this year looks a lot more explosive,” said Addy Miller. The question still remains, what’s changed? 

The Mustangs hired a new offensive coordinator Jody Morgan who, before coaching the Mustangs, was the head coach at Riverton High School. Head coach of the Mustangs, Dustin Pierce, reached out to Morgan who led the Silverwolves to an impressive 35-22 record over five years. Since his hire, there has been a huge jump in the Mustangs offense scoring. 

In the second game of the season, the Mustangs traveled to Las Vegas to play the Green Valley Gators. Addy Miller, a senior at Herriman High, said, “We came in as serious underdogs, no one expected us to win.” 

The Mustangs beat the Gators 30–18 showing the offensive firepower of this team. They have also had a very impressive defense game this year. 

One player stands out the most this year — Ephraim Asiata. After returning from an injury last year, Ephraim has had a stunning start to the season. “It’s amazing what he’s been able to do and overcome his injury,” said Addy Miller. So far, Ephraim has taken down the quarterback four times through the first three games which is an unbelievable stat. On defense, taking down the quarterback is one of the hardest aspects of the position. Many players will only take down the quarterback four times in one season.

On September 1st, 2023, the Mustangs played the Westlake Thunder and won 27-0. Last year, the Mustangs beat the Thunder 14–3 after scoring two touchdowns from running only. “We have a good chance to win,” Addy Miller said. Much anticipation was felt for the upcoming game and the team delivered. With the offensive scoring being at an all time high, and the defense firing on all cylinders, we should expect a very big season for the Mustangs this year.