Love continues to dominate on the track for the Mustangs

Kaysha Love is a former Level 10 gymnast. Now one of the state’s top runners, she decided to change things up in her life and switch to track and field her freshman year of high school.

The second she stepped onto the track, she made an impact that would forever change her.

During her first-ever high school meet, Love ran the 100 meters in a time of 12.01, just .16 short of the state record set by a runner from Brighton High School.

“Kaysha has accomplished so much really fast and at a young age. Her first race out she knew she had found what she was supposed to be doing and wants to do. She found her love and passion,” Kaysha’s mom, Stephanie said.

That same year, Love broke the 4A state record in the 200-meter sprint with an incredible time of 24.68.

After a noteworthy first season, Love went nowhere but up over the next few years.

When Mrs. Love was asked what she thought was the reason behind Kaysha’s success she said it’s her drive, competitive edge and crave for perfection.

“At times I wish she wasn’t such a perfectionist because sometimes she puts too much pressure on herself,” Mrs. Love said. “But then I have to remind myself that the desire for perfection and drive to work hard are why she is so successful.”

Sophomore year came around and Love continued to prove how strong of a competitor she was. During the indoor season at the UHSTCA Coach’s Invitational she came first in the 200 meter with a time of 24.96 and in the 60 meter with a time of 7.69.

She was just as successful during the outdoor season. Love took first place in the 100 and 200 meter races at all of the meets.

Love is now finishing her junior year of track and has grown as an athlete over the past three years.

“Freshman year, I didn’t really know what I was doing. Track was such a foreign language, I never truly understood the sport, until this year,” Love said. “I’ve made tons of improvements with my races, my mindset, and preparing myself for track meets. I’ve also learned to sacrifice many things in my life just so I could see more improvements on and off the track in my future.”

Notable performances by Love this year include first place in the 200 meter with a time of 24.33 at the Davis Invitational and first place finish in the 100 meter with a time of 11.84 at the Herriman Twilight.

Love was invited to the Arcadia Invitational, one of the most prestigious and competitive track meets in the country. There, she took seventh place in the 100 meter with a time of 11.91 and seventh place in the 200 meter with a time of 25.11.

As far as the future goes for Love, she wants to continue her track career as long as she can.

“I plan to run track in college. I’m not exactly sure which school I’ll be attending, yet,” Love said.  “I want to continue running because track and field has become apart of me. I couldn’t see my college years without it. I love learning new things about track. Continuing to run will give me the opportunity to learn more about my favorite sport everyday.”