Hearts of Gold service officers

Beginning last June when they were elected, our Herriman High School service officers have been hard at work, planning Hearts of Gold. This year, the service officers are being led by service Student Body Officer Emily Schut. Joining Schut are each of the class service officers: Courtney Davis, Nathan Tracy, and Abby Dewsnup. These students have worked tirelessly to prepare for Hearts of Gold and they have been hard at work for the whole month of December to ensure that this is the most amazing Hearts of Gold yet.

Abby Dewsnup, our sophomore class service officer, found out about Hearts of Gold very quickly. “My first week in they explained my part in Hearts of Gold and I thought, I am ready for this,” she explained. Dewsnup is excited to be a part of something as huge as Hearts of Gold. So far her favorite part has been attending Odd Jobs. “Being face to face with the community that supports us and the people who love our school is really amazing,” she said.

Nathan Tracy, junior class service officer, said that he “had no idea just how involved being the service officer was. And I didn’t realize just how close it is to my heart to help these families.” Tracy is most excited for the closing assembly, because he can’t wait to reveal the total, see the faces of the families, and show our community what Herriman High School is really about. To the student body, Tracy says, “Realize that what you do makes a difference and our number is dependent on what you do. No matter what the officers do, it’s up to the students”.

Courtney Davis, senior class service officer, was very excited to jump into Hearts of Gold and although the planning process was “crazy” she is sure that it will be a great experience. Courtney loved planning Winter Ball and finding specific ways to include the families in the school. “I just want to raise a whole lot of money for the families and reach our goal,” she explained. Davis’s favorite part of Hearts of Gold is Odd Jobs because “people tell you stories about how Make a Wish changed their lives, and I love knowing that we are making the difference in someone else’s life.”

Emily Schut, our service student body officer, knew what was coming when she was announced as the service officer. “Honestly, I was terrified and shocked but I took up the job and in no time I was excited to get started. I can’t imagine having any other position.” One of Schut’s special responsibilities is selecting the charity Herriman High partners with. She explained, “I wanted to look at all of our options, but Make a Wish sought us out and wanted to partner with us. We met them first and when it came down to it, we knew Make a Wish was the right choice”.

Our service officers are excited to serve our community through Hearts of Gold. They have worked hard all year to make sure that this December will be a success.